Thursday, April 26, 2012

M'membe joins chief Chisunka's defence

M'membe joins chief Chisunka's defence
By Roy Habaalu
Thu 26 Apr. 2012, 08:20 CAT

CHIEF Chisunka of Luapula Province says Rupiah Banda's libel suit will afford the nation an opportunity to know who stole from them. Former president Banda has sued chief Chisunka, claiming damages for defamation and libel over two articles that were published in The Post alleging that he had stolen a lot of money.

In an interview, Chisunka confirmed receiving the summons from former president Banda's lawyers Messrs Central Chambers saying he had handed over the case to his lawyers Nchito and Nchito. Chief Chisunka also thanked Post editor-in-chief Fred M'membe for joining his defence team.

"I am very grateful that Mr Fred M'membe has decided to join my subjects as defence lawyer," said chief Chisunka.

Chief Chisunka said tradition didn't allow chiefs to appear in court and would therefore let his subjects fight for him.

"Where we come from, chiefs don't fight with their subjects. I don't know where ba Rupiah comes from, maybe they do that. So I have also now handed over the matter to my subjects. Those are the ones who are going to deal with it. We also have people where we come from, and I; as a chief, cannot go and start standing with somebody in court. So I have handed over the matter to my subjects Nchito and Nchito, my subjects who are also lawyers," chief Chisunka said.

"These people (lawyers) are from my land. Maybe Rupiah where he comes from, they fight with chiefs but where we come from we don't fight with chiefs so I have told my subjects to represent me."

He said Banda's lawyers should henceforth address all the correspondence to his subjects and not him.

Chief Chisunka said he was a traditional leader who had the mandate of his subject to improve their livelihood and not a politician who would desert the people.

"Rupiah hates me because I refused to distribute the corruptly obtained maize to my subjects just days before the September 20 general election, that's all. I told him I can't do that. If you want to distribute the maize, wait until after the elections so that's why he hates me," said chief Chisunka.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home