Saturday, July 02, 2011

Kazabu quits UPND, joins PF

Kazabu quits UPND, joins PF
By George Chellah
Sat 02 July 2011, 04:00 CAT

LUXON Kazabu has resigned from the UPND and applied to stand in Nkana Constituency on the PF ticket. In a letter dated June 24, 2011 to the UPND secretary general, Kazabu, who is also party chairman for education, science and technology stated that he had resigned purely on principle and conviction.

“It is with deep regret that I have to inform you that after consultations with my family, friends and other people of good will and purely on a point of principle and conviction, I have decided to resign from the party with immediate effect,” Kazabu stated.

“You will recall that when I joined UPND on 30th October 2009, I publicly stated that I had stayed out of party politics for quite some time because of the fragmentation of the opposition. I further stated that following the formation of a pact between the Patriotic Front (PF) and the party I had decided to return to active politics.”

He stated that PF and UPND were and are still undoubtedly the biggest opposition parties in the country.

“I firmly believed then and still believe that working together, the two could offer a meaningful challenge to the ruling party in competing for political power and offering our people an alternative governing style,” Kazabu stated.

“Against the above background, the collapse of the pact is at variance with my conviction and expectations. Further, I do not agree with the alternative path, which the party has chosen to take in its resolve to participate in the forthcoming general elections, hence my decision to leave.”

Kazabu, who is also former Kitwe mayor thanked UPND president Hakainde Hichilema, the NEC and the National Management Committee (NMC) for giving him an opportunity to be part of the top leadership team as chairman for education, science and technology.

“I shall remain indebted for many years to come. Further, I shall treasure both the good and challenging times that we spent together during the short period of my membership. To the general membership of the party, I thank them for their support,” Kazabu stated.

“To my old and close friends, Hon Ackson Sejani and Hon Request Muntanga, I apologise upfront if they feel let down by the decision which I have made. It is my prayer and hope that our friendship and warm relations will live forever.”

And Kazabu has applied for adoption on the PF ticket in Nkana Constituency.

In his letter to the constituency secretary dated June 29, 2011, Kazabu wrote: “I write to apply for adoption as a parliamentary candidate in Nkana constituency on the Patriotic Front ticket in the forthcoming tripartite elections. For personal, academic, professional, work experience, community and business service and apolitical involvement details, I have enclosed my curriculum vitae. I trust that the party will give my application its serious and favourable consideration.”

Hichilema was recently quoted saying that the UPND was stronger than PF, which he claimed had lost popularity, especially on the Copperbelt.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home