Friday, February 05, 2010

I’m prepared for Rupiah, says George Mpombo

I’m prepared for Rupiah, says George Mpombo
By George Chellah
Fri 05 Feb. 2010, 04:00 CAT

GEORGE Mpombo has vowed that he will not be silenced because he is prepared for President Rupiah Banda's intentions.

Commenting on events surrounding his arrest and subsequent charge for allegedly issuing a cheque on an insufficiently funded account, Mpombo, who is Kafulafuta MMD member of parliament and former defence minister, said he would continue being an independent-minded person.

“I will not be silenced and all these things which are happening now are an added impetus to my resolve to be independent minded. Efforts aimed at trying to intimidate me are an exercise in futility because I have no intention to do that,” Mpombo said.

“And I am really determined to remain where I am and most of my stance is based on principle so I am prepared to bite the bullet. I am prepared to go to jail for my principle. So far my family supports me and therefore I am prepared for anything Mr Banda may want to do.”

He insisted that he had no intention whatsoever of compromising his stance on a number of issues that had been raised.

“These things are just adding fuel to my resolve and I will not be cowed. I am not the type to recoil my head into a shell. I remain determined. Funny things happen in this country,” he said.

Mpombo said the current situation was just hardening him.

“And I will go all the way. I’m prepared for anything so long as I stick to my principles,” he said.

He criticised the double standards that were being exhibited in the country.

"I was initially charged for something else and then new charges are framed. Funny things happen, there are people who have been receiving... former teachers receiving government money going into her account and they basically just looked at them, you remember what I am referring to,” Mpombo said.

“Where somebody retired as a teacher but went on receiving government money and they kept quiet. This is a society which must not have double standards. But for me, I am really determined. I am not cowed, I am not intimidated, I will forge ahead.”

Mpombo pledged to cooperate with the system in his matter.

“I am a law-abiding citizen and I am a legislator. I know the police will be just doing their work and therefore I will cooperate with them,” said Mpombo.

On Tuesday, police in Ndola arrested and charged Mpombo with an offence of issuing a cheque on an insufficiently funded account contrary to the national payment systems Act.

Mpombo is today expected to appear before the Ndola principal resident magistrate to take plea after which trial dates will be set.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home