Friday, July 27, 2007

I absorbed The Post's criticism in 1991 - KK

I absorbed The Post's criticism in 1991 - KK
By Brighton Phiri
Thursday July 26, 2007 [04:02]

Dr Kaunda yesterday said he absorbed The Post's criticism in 1991 with humility. In his congratulatory message to The Post's 16th anniversary that falls today and apparent reflection of his experiences with the newspaper in 1991 before the downfall of his government, Dr Kaunda advised those in positions of power to receive The Post's criticism positively as he did under the UNIP government.

"I wish those in office can receive Post criticism correctly...I am not asking them to do what I did not do...I don't want them to say I am advising them wrongly because I stood and faced the same criticism," Dr Kaunda said. "I received The Post criticism with humility because I considered it healthy and constructive. Even now I consider that criticism as constructive."

Dr Kaunda said he did not see any personal hatred in The Post attacks when he was at State House because he realised that the paper's journalists were writing as they saw things unfold.
"The Post journalists were writing about issues that they saw in their own opinion was going wrong. I had no hard feelings with that because it provided checks and balances," he said.

When asked to explain how he handled the pressure from his colleagues who demanded for the closure of the paper, Dr Kaunda said: "Closing the paper never crossed my mind...I knew that The Post did not know what was causing all those problems that we were going through. I don't hold anything against the paper."

Dr Kaunda said The Post's continued provision of constructive criticism and investigative reporting confirmed that the paper had no favourites among the people who aspire to serve Zambians.
He said there was every reason that Zambians could join The Post in celebrating their 16 years of existence because it was really an outstanding achievement for the country.

Dr Kaunda said The Post should be commended for providing quality leadership on issues that affected ordinary people.
"You young men and women at The Post speak truthfully without fear regardless of who is involved in any position. Whomever you write about, you do so truthfully," Dr Kaunda said.

"Any society needs that type of journalism because it helps to build the nation. Young men and women carry on with your clarity of thought. Young people, the struggle continues...Aluta continua."
And Dr Kaunda announced the death of his grandson Daniel Zunda Banda, the son of his Zimbabwean based daughter M'sata and James Banda.

"I wish to inform all friends and relatives that we have lost an 18-year old boy. In these days of HIV/AIDS, it is only proper that we tell the nation what he has died of. Our young boy has died of cancer," he said.

According to Dr Kaunda, Daniel would be buried today in Kapiri Mposhi.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home